RE: [Fwd: Dinosaur Society]

Knowing THEM - yes: most likely. :-)  They have 2 adults, a male & a female.
They ARE impressive animals to be sure; even in our circa 1930's zoo!  We
saw them ~ a month ago & it was 104 F that day and (with the Southern Texas
humidity) it was something like a Turkish bath.
Both specimens were outside & near their "pond", so they weren't obscured by
the plants in their habitat.  We happened to be there right at feeding time
& it was an "interesting" spectacle.
They're a fairly new exhibit (our zoo sort of specializes in big cats), so
there was a large crowd of visitors present that day.  Almost inevitably,
someone said; "Gee, they look just like dinosaurs!" :-)  My wife shot me a
quick "Don't say a word!" glance, so I remained mute.  But, from the front
of the crowd, this (perhaps) eight year old girl explained; "Their
resemblance to dinosaurs is only slight.  Actually,  modern lizards are not
much like dinosaurs."  I chuckled to myself, as this rather red-faced older
guy walked off mumbling! :-)  I assume he was the fellow who made the
original remark.

  Actually, the earlier point about dogma being a reasonable description, if
taken literally (as defined by Webster) is true.  But, like the term dogma
has acquired a pretty negative connotation.  Anyway, my point was that it
certainly appears that the dinosaur/bird link is gaining in acceptance.

 Speaking of birds & dinosaurs, I have a question for the list:  am I
correct in assuming that (ironically) the order Saurischia is closer to
birds that the Ornithischia?  I'm sure this has probably been addressed
before, sorry.

Dwight