CARPAL CLAWS IN ENANTIORNITHINES

Carpal claws in enantiornithines (note that I include _Iberomesornis_
for convience) are not well known.  _Eoalulavis_ shows some well
preserved claws that seem to be small, but strongly curved, arguing for
some climbing adaptation.  Martin (1995; Courier Forshungstitut
Senckenberg 181) gives a good overview of the enantiornithines with lots
of reconstructions and restorations.  So far, carpal claws are found in
_Iberomesornis_, _Enantornis_, _Sinornis_, _Eoalulavis_, and to some
extent _Concornis_.

As noted by Feduccia, the pedal claws of some enantiornithines resemble
those of woodpeckers and woodcreepers, arguing for scansorial niches in
these forms (_Iberomesornis_, _Sinornis_, _Concornis_).  I would also
argue that they may have climbed quadrapedally as well.

Matt Troutman