Re: Lots'a questions after a ref.-tiding-up!

In a message dated 8/29/98 3:50:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
102354.2222@compuserve.com writes:

<< This_ is why we publish, George:  so that the ideas we have _now_ can be
_re_-examined by future generations with more information and newer
perspectives. >>

That is not why authors publish, but it is why they cite references.  Man, I
hate this kind of attitude.  How is it described? ..well....I guess "arrogant"
may be the right word.

<<Even you, I am sure, recognize this as fundamental to scientific
methodology. >>

This isn't directed at me, but I often find myself searching for a way to
respond to such amateurish invectives directed at various authors.  I guess
dismissing them is the best answer I have right now.  Can't we keep these
discussions above this level?

Pat Norton