Geological Time Lines - History

    All:

        After reading an old article (by Barnum Brown, in National
Geographic 1919), I discovered that at that time, the Cretaceous was
believed to have been 3 mya, not 65 mya.  (Also, based on additional info.,
the end of the Permian was believed to be around 12 mya).

    It seems that in the 1920's the Geological Time Line was revised to
become close to what we know today.  Does anyone know for sure when the
change occured - and what information sparked the change?  If anyone has a
listing of the OLD time line, I'd like to see it.

    Thanks

            Allan Edels