Re: GSP's hadrosaurian reconstructions

Greg Paul has also put dermal spines down the entire necks and backs of all
sauropods (brachiosaurs anyway) because of one authenticated specimen which
shows such structures on the tail of one kind of diplodocid.  This is the
kind of artisitc license that creates an image which reverberates virtually
forever in the media and is damn hard if not impossible to change if new
discoveries show different facts.  The problem, as I see it, is that many
people may see those images and accept them as known facts.  There are
iguanas that have spines like that today, and also iguanas that don't.  If
these animals were know from the fossil record only, we'd be putting spines
on all iguanas because some had them.  And we KNOW this is not the case,
since iguanas are still around to look at.
As another example, I also recall that Greg rendered the horns on the head
of his Carnotaurus as very flattened (on PDW)- whereas they are much more
conical in shape.  Now Greg may realize the first image was wrong, and
"fix" it later... (I believe his reference material was limited back when
he did the drawing)  but that doesn't take back the initial image which has
been copied ad nauseum in books and models- just because people saw it in
Greg's book.
Dinogeorge tries to say that mistakes are no big deal because they can be
corrected, but if the mistakes get made into pictures and published, how
are people to know that the artist may have changed his mind later?
I don't know about those hadrosaur necks- except that certain people I know
disagree with Greg's interpretation.  That doesn't make Greg wrong either.
But suppose something causes him to change his mind at some later date?
Those pictures are still going to be out there, informing or misinforming
people.
I have no easy solution, nor do I place blame on anyone (especially Greg-
he can't help it if he's very influential).
I remember when I was young and saw dinosaur skeletons in museums and
books.  I had NO IDEA that I was often looking at composite skeletons or
miles of plaster.  I also had no idea how few skulls and bones really
existed for certain animals, nor how incomplete they may have been.  All
this means is that I now have the desire to know what is real and what is
know, before I start believing everything I see.