funds

Dr. Carpenter gave me permission to include this to the list. I am a
very broke (money wise) Grad Student in Paleontology.

Dr. Carpenter,
I just saw your reply to the comments made by George
Olshevsky.I of course am a little prejudiced to your side from
all your help. I do know from actual experience that most of
the well known paleontologists pay much of their own costs and
I thought that everyone knew this. I was told this by a few
people when I switched to paleontology from straight bio.that
this was definitely not a field to go into if you wanted to
make lots of money. Quite the opposite is true, since most
people in paleontology are not as blessed as Marsh was to have
family benefactors. I have payed out of my pocket, costs for
two dinosaur digs and a trip to the Museum of Geology at SDSM&T
to see the plesiosaur material and will pay again to go there
as soon as I can to meet with Dr. Martin. Just in working on my
thesis it was very obvious that one cannot do the research
without examining the specimens. What I needed for
identification, I HAD to see with my own eyes and make my own
notes, drawings and photographs. I am amazed that there is any
controversy on this subject at all. There shouldn't be.
All of the paleontologists I have contacted on my research have
given gladly their time and many sent reprints. Most
importantly ALL have suggested going to the museums and working
on the specimens, to do my own science.
I have learned so much from this experience, that I can see why
it is necessary now. Someone else's interpretation of a fossil
through a drawing or photograph can be biased as to what they
are trying to illustrate. I found through trial and error that
all he very small details in a fossil can't be delineated or
the diagnostic evidence used for that fossil may be lost in the
blizzard of lines. I thank you, in particular, Dr. Carpenter,
for that one.
I know this isn't very well put so far, but I wanted to let you
know that many people do know, and will be on your side in
this. Thank you, Barry S. Kazmer

Barry S. Kazmer    407 5th. Ave. N.E. St. Cloud, MN 56304
320-255-9481    fax 320-259-8719
kazmeb01@tigger.stcloudstate.edu
kazmer@hotmail.com    bkazmer@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/1189/