Re: Polar sauropods

--Original Message-- From: Stewart, Dwight <Dwight.Stewart@VLSI.com> 03
December 1998 04:37

Interesting; perhaps they could have managed that if they hatched in the
warm season.

>I don't think the fact that sauropods
> haven't been found in polar regions precludes their having been
>there.

True enough - so far, though if the poles in those days were fairly close to
their modern day positions, we are unlikely to do enough prospecting to know
for sure - that is if none are ever found there.  However, this applies more
to the Cretaceous; the Jurassic poles were further from their modern day
positions.

> Few fossils have been found in these regions, and that may
> be more due to the difficulty of
> locating and extracting fossils there than in any gross lack of
>specimens.
> Perhaps a better question is; what were the polar regions like
>during the immensely
> long period that sauropods existed?

They say much warmer than nowadays, don't they.

Thanks -

JJ