Re: Polar sauropods

In a message dated 98-12-03 13:07:53 EST, B. Choo wrote:

<<
 >Palaeobotanical evidence suggests that the Australiasian (Australia & New
 >Zealand) polar regions in the Cretaceous were dominated by deciduous
 >angiosperm forests which were dormant during the winter darkness, rapidly
 >shedding their leaves to form leaf mats.

  Any references on this? It was my understanding from a recent talk by Leo
Hickey that the ferns and conifers were displaced as dominent flora by
angiosperms only after the K/T after a rapid development in the Late
Cretaceous from weedy plants in disturbed stream and lakebed environments
(like the recent Chinese specimen). Dan Varner.