Re: Polar sauropods

Dan Varner wrote:

>  Any references on this? It was my understanding from a recent talk by Leo
>Hickey that the ferns and conifers were displaced as dominent flora by
>angiosperms only after the K/T after a rapid development in the Late
>Cretaceous from weedy plants in disturbed stream and lakebed environments
>(like the recent Chinese specimen). Dan Varner.

Looking through my post I realise it was misleading (I really should stop
doing this at 2 in the morning...): While araucarians and other conifers
were still the dominant large trees, the presence of fossil leaf mats in
Victoria and the diversity of angiosperm fossils in Cretaceous New Zealand
suggests deciduous plants made up a major chunk of the flora.

Wiffen, J (1996): Dinosaurian Palaeobiology: A New Zealand Perspective.
        Mem. Qld. Mus 39(3): 725-731.

Vickers-Rich, P & Rich T.H(1993) Australia's Polar dinosaurs
        Scientific American 269(1): 50-55.

Raine, J.I (1990) L. Cret. plant macrofossils from Mangahouanga Stream.
        P.111 in Geological Society of New Zealand Annual Conference, Napier
        1990. Programme and abstracts.

Cheerio
Brian Choo