Re: North by Northwest (was Polar Sauropods )

Roger A. Stephenson wrote:

> Hey Everybody,
>
> The thread on polar dinosaurs has touched on a subject I do have some
> direct knowledge of, for a change.
>
> Dr. Roland Gangloff of the University of Alaska spoke at the 5th
> Conference on Fossil Resources in Rapid City, SD in October this year.
> I was fortunate enough to attend this event along with the Director of
> the Grand River Museum, Dr. Steven Sroka. Dr. Gangloff, Dr. Sroka, and
> I also had a number of private conversations that were both exciting
> and informative regarding his work on the Ikpikpuk River basin, and
> the Colville River basin ( 16 dinosaur material distinctive sites ).

are these from the same formation or strata?  And what would the age be?
(I would assume from your enclosed faunal list early Maastrichtian but
perhaps it could be late Campanian or mid- or late Maastrichtian as
well).[snippety]

> (ref. Roland A. Gangloff, "Paleontological and Archaeological Research
> in the Eastern Third of the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska, a Call
> for Symbiosis", Dakoterra Volume 5, 1998, ed. J.E. Martin, L.W.
> Hoganson, R.C. Benton)

is there a URL where this info is displayed?

[snip]

> While none of this has anything to do with Jurassic Sauropod nesting
> in the arctic zones

actually they were Cretaceous sauropods  :-)Anyway, during the Jurassic
the climate was mild & tropical even in high latitudes; it wasn't until
the mid Cretaceous (correct me if I'm wrong) that any soprt of real
temeprature gradients developed.

Kewl!   :-)

M.Alan

Kheper - Metamorphosis and Evolution home page
http://www.kheper.auz.com/

"The street finds its own use for things"
    Wm. Gibson