Re: polar sauropods

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, John V Jackson wrote:

> ... but I don't think in the end it's going to change the fact
> that they must have raised their young in very high latitudes.  Didn't
> someone say that hatchling hadrosaurs were found near the northernmost end
> of their range?  What's more, birds tend to raise their young at the polar
> ends of their migration cycles.

Another consideration is the relatively small baby size the bigger the
parent.  Could the babies get up enough speed for the return trip.  Unlike
birds which can wait to grow and then fly south before the
serious cold, the non-avain variety had to walk.  But then they probably
grew very fast...At the very least, the migration range of
na-dinos was probably restricted relative to birds.