re: polar sauropods

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, B. Choo wrote:
> Oddly enough, the NZ dinosaurs seem to
> show no sign of dwarfism which one would expect in an insular environment.

Dwarfism is not the only response to insular environments.  Several
species tend to grow bigger, eg., birds, rodents, shrews.  I suppose one
should ask: are dinos more analagous to birds or elephants (which do
become reduced in size) in this
respect.  We leap to the elephant because of its size.  But perhaps
dinosaurs were big for _very_ different reasons.  And the NZ experience
would seem to support this.