Re: polar sauropods

John Bois <jbois@umd5.umd.edu> wrote
>On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, B. Choo wrote:
>> Oddly enough, the NZ dinosaurs seem to
>> show no sign of dwarfism which one would expect in an insular environment.
>
>Dwarfism is not the only response to insular environments.  Several
>species tend to grow bigger, eg., birds, rodents, shrews.  I suppose one
>should ask: are dinos more analagous to birds or elephants (which do
>become reduced in size) in this
>respect.

I thought that availability of food would be the primary determinant between
gigantism and  dwarfism in island environments free from predators. NZ and
Madagascar are islands but pretty big with lots of resources giving rise to
gigantism in birds. Dwarfism in elephants occurred only on small islands with
limited resources. Sri Lankan elephants are not dwarf.

Gautam Majumdar                 gautam@majumdar.demon.co.uk