Re: Acetabulum

Tom, et al:

    I wrote:
>>    1)    Do any other archosaurs (non-dinosaurs) have the acetabulum (a
>>hole in the hip girdle, created by the intersection of the three hip
bones)
>>as a character?

    I meant to write:
        "1)    Do any other archosaurs (non-dinosaurs) have the
        acetabulum AS a hole in the hip girdle, created by the intersection

    I wrote:
>>    2)    Does the description/definition of a dinosaur indicate that the
>>supra-acetabular crest must be present?

    I meant that the diagnosis of dinosaur _generally_ indicates the
presence of the supra-acetabular crest, and I wonder if other related
animals have a similar shaped crest located there, and also, whether some
dinosaurs reduced, eliminated, expanded, moved or otherwise heavily modified
that character (similar to the acetabulum closing)?

Tom wrote:
>Remember, everyone: evolution happens.  All characters are subject to
>further modification.

    I am just trying to see if any of the major characters used to help
diagnose (non-avian) dinosaurs did NOT change throughout their 165+ million
years on the planet.

    Thanks for your swift reply.

        Allan Edels

            (I knew what I meant - why didn't you? :-) )