El theropodo grande

So _Giganotosaurus carolinii_ was originally described as a big
heavy-set theropod -- more massive in construction that our basic
huge-theropod point of reference, _T. rex_.

But now I seem to recall reading (including at least once on this list
-- sorry but I forget the author) that _G. carolinii_ was not as
massive as originally thought, and that an adult may have weighed a
bit less than an adult _T. rex_.  (And no, I am NOT thinking of that
Prehistoric Times bit of _T. rex_ propaganda.)

Is this in fact the current thinking?  If so, based on what
peer-reviewed source?

Fear not, feather people; I'll try to sneak a budgie into the next
message.

Jamaican anoles make good eatin',

==
Larry