Re: More tyrant Q & A's

Stan Friesen  wrote:

>On ecological grounds, forms that co-occur in one time-place can really
only be distinct species if they differ sufficiently to be able to
minimize competition.<

Many highly competitive, morphologically similar species have territories
that overlap to some extent for one reason or another.  _Canis lupus_ and
_Canis latrans_ , for example, co-exist across broad ranges of Canada and
the US, probably due to a gradual process of displacement.  Several
species of _Sciuris_ (also highly competitive and morphologically
similar) co-occur in the forests of the northeast.  I think that, over
time, in a stable environment, minimization of competition would
naturally among the inhabitants.  But I'm not sure it's safe to assume
that morphologically similar Tyranosaurid species found in the same
paleoenvironment were engaged in only minimal competition.