FLAMINGOS

>You may be thinking of Juncitarsus, which Olson and Feduccia >consider
a "shorebird-flamingo mosaic" (see Feduccia's book at p. >208), a view
supported by Stefan Peters.

Feduccia, A.  1976.  Osteological evidence for shorebird affinities of
the flamingos.  Auk 93: 587-601.

Feduccia argues that Anseriformes and Phoenicopteriformes share a
special common ancestor away from _Presbyornis_, which is the sister of
the flamingo-anseriform grouping.  Shorebirds (and recurvirostrids as a
possible independent branch of the shorebirds) form the sister to the
_Presbyornis_+Flamingos+Ducks group.

>Ah.  This is, of course, the Juncitarsus paper.  I confess, though, I
>am not so sure about comparing flamingos to the living Banded Stilt, >a
communal breeder with somewhat flamingo-like behaviour that is >surely a
case of convergence.  The fossil evidence is interesting, >though.

Olson and Feduccia built their case on ethology, detailed myology,
oology, parasitology, biochemical analysis, osteology, and fossil
evidence.  They found that _Cladorhynchus_ among the recurvirostrids
matches up more than any other member.  The evidence is pretty
extensive.

Matt Troutman
m_troutman@hotmail.com