Re: Sexual Dimorphism (was T.rex Q & A)

All:

    I may be wrong with this, but I believe that I read somewhere that the
norm for sexual dimorphs throughout the animal kingdom is for the female to
be larger than the male.  There are major exceptions, the primates being one
of  them (Aren't they always?:-)).

    As to the evidence of sexual dimorphism in _T. rex_ :-
        "First, there is more room in the robust pelvis for the passage of
eggs (Carpenter 1990).  Second, the gracile morph has an extra bone (an
extra chevron) at the base of the tail (Larson 1994a,1995).  Male
crocodiles, distant relatives of _T. rex_, have a similar extra bone and it
is used to anchor the penis retractor muscles (Romer 1956, Larson 1993).  "
["The King's New Clothes: A Fresh Look at _Tyrannosaurus rex_" by Peter L.
Larson, published in the DinoFest International Symposium publication (1998)
pp. 65-71].  The accompanying figures (in the ref) show the attachment of
the chevron, and the size and shape of the chevron, and the second chevron
as well.  On the gracile morph, the chevrons are all of similar shape and
size (this is a very rough estimate, based on a small drawing).  On the
robust morph, the 'first' chevron is missing, and the second (?) chevron is
shorter than all the rest (about %50), and the end is 'squared' off - as
opposed to the pointed shape of all the other chevrons.

    As to sexual dimorphism in other dinosaurs, in the same volume ["Sexual
Dimorphism in Dinosaurs" by Ralph E. Chapman, David B. Weishampel, Gene
Hunt, and Diego Rasskin-Gutman, pp. 83-93], the authors find evidence for
sexual dimorphism (as noted by several other authors as well) in:
_Lambeosaurus_, _Plateosaurus_, _Apatosaurus_, _Diplodicus_, _Camarasaurus_,
_Coelophysis_, _Syntarsus_, _Tyrannosaurus rex_, _Parasaurolophus_,
_Stegoceras_, _Protoceratops_, _Pacyhrhinosaurus_, _Chasmosaurus_,
_Triceratops_, _Einiosaurus_, and _Achelousaurus_.
I believe that, in those species where the presumption of which sex is which
morph, the larger morph is generally thought to be the female.

    Allan Edels