New refs #28

Well onto another set of refs, working on the backlog...

First, I'll start with a neat, very readable book with some dino stuff in it.
When I first checked Amazon, they listed a price as $115 for the paperback.
However, I got a copy for $20 locally so think there is a problem with that
listing. Pay the $20...

McNamara, K. & J. Long. 1998. The Evolution Revolution. Wiley,
   New York.  298 p. ISBN 0-471-97406-4 and 0-471-97407-2. Pbk.
   Don't know why 2 ISBN numbers apply.

Ken McNamara does some very interesting research and seems to be a real
thinker, especially about heterochronic mechanisms. Have never met him but
would like to.

Now a paper I found odd and convoluted and have put aside to reread when I
might be a little sharper than I am today.

Sorkin, B. 1998. On epidermal insulation in small dinosaurs.
    Evolutionary Theory, 11:279-287.

I will not attempt to summarize because I got lost when I tried to read it
today following the long and convoluted text (no figures). I just might be
dense today, so apologies to Mr. Sorkin ahead of time. Maybe Jim Farlow or Greg
Paul or Tom might do it for me. He states out front he believes dinos are
endothermic, all of them, and then talks about how scaled bodies cannot be
derived from feathery ones and the implication of this for suggesting where
feathers might have evolved. I suspect he ignores in this the recent
developments in Hox genes and developmental biology which might provide nice
mechanisms for doing such (or maybe not). His data are already out of date
because of the various developments that are going at light speed (not his
fault here, obviously). Don't know what the segnosaur will do to his argument,
if anything. He does note the need for small endothermic dinos to have to have
some insulation and, obviously, linking the transition to small size. I'll
reread again and try to get back if no one else does. I wanted people to know
about the article ASAP, however.

Evolutionary Theory is Leigh Van Valen's neat journal which he used to edit
under the pseudonym of Isadore Knobby. Don't know if he still does (may have
misspelled the name a bit as well). Never met Leigh, although have exchanged
e-mails. He's one of my heros because the chance of publishing something in his
journal increases the more he disagrees with you. Need more of such views in
science. Hope to sit down with him some time.

Now I finally got a paper in that I think is really relevant...

Reilly, S.M. & J.A. Elias. 1998. Locomotion in Alligator
   Mississippiensis: kinematic effects of speed and posture and
   Their relevance to the sprawling-to-erect paradigm.
   Journal of Experimental Biology, 201:2559-2574.

Suggest the sprawl walk of crocs really is just a lower version of their high
walk and is not equivalent to the sprawl of salamanders and lizards. Fossil
record suggested crocs sprawl secopndarily and this seems to support that. Very
nice paper. I do know Steve Reilly and he's a nice guy and excellent
morphometrician (a high praise from me).

A nice detailed taphonomic study,we need more of these...

Hungerbuhler, A. 1998. Taphonomy of the prosauropod dinosaur
   Sellosaurus, and its implications for carnivore faunas and feeding
   Habits in the Late Triassic. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology,
   Palaeoecology (=Paleo3), 143(1):1-29.

Studies the Norian Stubensandstein fluvial complex in Germany. Includes 17
skeletons of Sellosaurus gracilis. At least one was scavenged. Deep-snouted
phytosaurs may have been scavenging on the carcasses. Much more. Nice, detailed.

And another Triassic review

Hunt, A.P., S.G. Lucas, A.B. Heckert, R.M. Sullivan & M.G. Lockley.
   1998. Late Triassic dinosaurs from the western United States.
   Geobios, 31(4):511-531.

Nice, full review. Chinle has 4 successive, dinosaur-bearing faunas.
Otischalkian has a batch o' scrappy dino stuff. Adamanian which includes a
herrerasaurid, Caseosaurus crosbyensis, a new genus and species;  Camposaurus
arizonensis - a new genus and species of ceratosaur; Tecovasaurus murryi - a
new ornithischian described by Hunt & Lucas (1994); and an unidentified
prosauropod. Fauna 3, the Revueltian includes 2 new herrerasaurids, the
prosauropod Revueltosaurus callenderi, Technosaurus smalli, Lucianosaurus wildi
& the infamous protoavis texensis, as well as the original syntypes of
Coelophysis bauri. Apachean faunas (#4) produces mostly ichnological data but
also three dinos from osteological data , including the neotype of C. bauri
from Ghost Ranch, and also including Syntarsus . Then a nice discussion. Nice
to have this paper out. This must be publication #2,456 of the Spencer Lucas
publishing machine. Don't know when Spencer ever sleeps but he is very
productive and also fun to be around, even when he aims his humor directly at
you which he does to me quite a bit. It's great to have Spencer direct his
considerable enthusiasm and energy to dinos and the Mesozoic at times.

That's enough for now, too much typing. More later.

Ralph Chapman, NMNH