Re: Climbing dromaeosaurs?

> From: Larry Dunn <majestic_cheese@yahoo.com>
> Well, has anyone published anything suggesting this hypothesis?  If
> so, could someone point me to a source and, ideally, give a summary?

I'll give you a couple of sources to look into.  Jaime A. Headden depicts a
climbing dromaeosaur at his Qilong web site at
<http://tripod.com/~Qilong/dromiepics.html>.

More to the point, Chatterjee's _The Rise of Birds_ puts this hypothesis
across in some detail, complete with vector diagrams and "climbing dromie"
illustrations.

In addition, I recall that someone on this list posted that there was an
extant bird with a prominent #2 ungual (apologies to Feduccia on the
number) which made use of this claw in scaling tree trunks.  Was it a
cassowary or a seriema?  Could someone please reiterate the claim?

-- Ralph Miller III     gbabcock@best.com