RE: More tyrant Q & A's

At 07:17 AM 12/10/98 -0600, Augustus T. White wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 09, 1998 11:40 AM, Norton, Patrick
>[SMTP:Patrick.Norton@state.me.us] wrote:
>> Many highly competitive, morphologically similar species have territories
>> that overlap to some extent for one reason or another.  ...
>>
>This is an interesting example.  Sympatric speciation can't be all that rare.
> Think of Darwin's finches and Hawaiian Drosophila.

I do not think either of these is a good example of sympatric speciation.  In
both cases island biogeography keeps the populations isolated, and island
differences promote differentiation.  (In the Hawaiian Drosophila case the
"islands" may sometimes be islands of suitable habitat - but spatial isolation
is still involved).

>so.  Do you happen to know what the ecological differences between the two
>Canis species is?

Yes.   When they coexist in the same habitat, _Canis latrans_ does more
scavenging, and hunts smaller prey when it does hunt.  The wolf tends to
hunt fairly
large prey in packs (deer, antelope, or even bison), and takes less of the
smaller
species.