Re: Vertebral spines on sauropods...

> Stegosaur spines and plates are dermal structures, not skeletal structures as
> in _Amargasaurus_. As far as I know, _Amargasaurus_ neural spines show no
> rugosity or blood grooves or other evidence of a horny covering (unlike stego
> plates), which they would require to function as individual spines. Most
> likely the whiplike and straplike (they're not at all robust) elongated neural
> spines supported a pair of fins along the neck that became a single tall ridge
> somewhere down the back.

  Thanks for the clarification! I knew the Stegosaur plates and spikes were not
directly attatched to the skeletal structure, and that they had the blood
grooves,
etc. I figured that would be the first thing that someone would correct for me.
Is
there anything worse than an uninformed person trying to make a comparison
between
apples (sauropods) and oranges (stegosaurs)? Probably only if that person makes
his ill-fated comparison on a list server... :-P
-Chris Srnka