Re: Climbing Dromies

Ahhh, just wrote this but realised Bety has beat me to it....the price
you pay for a weekend away from the list......

William Monteleone <wmonte@concentric.net> wrote,  & to further the
discussion:

>In fact dromaeosaurs do have rather large sickle shaped claws on their
>hands. Those claws are smaller than the largest pes claw, but they are
>still incredibly large for the size of the animal.

>Also, when humans climb trees or telephone poles we strap on cleats >with
>a single large spike on the inside of our foot. Hmm, that #II claw
>doesn't seem like a bad idea after all. There was an article in Science

The anatomy and physics of climbing dromies seems plausible, but what
are they climbing around in trees _for_? They are fairly sizeable, well
equipped carnivores, and presumably are so well-equipped to deal with
prey that is inclined to put up a struggle, which I would assume would
be rather risky in a tree. I also imagine anything up in a tree would be
able to leap around, so the dromie would have to be able to outperform
its prey to survive. Is this scenario then plausible?

Can anyone identify a likely prey in this scenario? I am assuming that
in order for such a climbing claw to evolve, the benefit of doing so
must exist (ie there are very useful juicy food items up there if only
they can be caught). If not, perhaps we should consider abandoning the
idea.....

Is there any similar-sized modern, tree climber actively hunting prey? I
can only think of martens (there must be others but of the same size as
a dromie?). Other species preying on tree-dwellers are snakes and
eagles. What else? Ideas anyone?

cheers, martin