Re: Climbing Dromies

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Human <cockatoo@csi.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Monday, December 14, 1998 5:27 AM
Subject: Re: Climbing Dromies

<snip>Can anyone identify a likely prey in this scenario? I am assuming that
>in order for such a climbing claw to evolve, the benefit of doing so
>must exist (ie there are very useful juicy food items up there if only
>they can be caught). If not, perhaps we should consider abandoning the
>idea.....
>
>Is there any similar-sized modern, tree climber actively hunting prey? I
>can only think of martens (there must be others but of the same size as
>a dromie?). Other species preying on tree-dwellers are snakes and
>eagles. What else? Ideas anyone?
>
>cheers, martin

Pure speculation but they could be climbing to escape predation.  Or they
could take killed prey to a safer arboreal place to eat to avoid their kill
from being stolen and eat in peace without sharing.  Leopards do this and
also take prey from trees as well.  If you can run on the ground and climb
trees easily you have an advantage over animals that do one or the other but
perhaps not both well. Just guessing.

Michael Teuton