Re: Vertebral spines on sauropods...

In a message dated 12/15/98 3:08:53 AM EST, qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

<< But in
 _Amargasaurus_ the anterior cervicals have slender bifid neural spines
 from fourth cervical back (third cervical has single tall spine, not
 bifid; first and second cervicals are atlas and axis, and as I recall
 cannot have tall neural spines),>

   From the figures in _Dinosaurs: the Encyclopedia_, the axis vertebra
 does have a long single spine; I know it's the axis because there's a
 small atlas right in front of it. I don't have the descriptive paper
 yet, so I can't detirmine much else right now. >>

You're absolutely right; thanks for checking this. Also good to be reminded
that having an accessible, shelved copy of Don Glut's encyclopedia means I
won't always have to wait until I unpack my copies of the original references
to check these kinds of details! The axis is indeed the cervical with the
single tall neural spine.