Re: To climb or not to climb

At 01:25 PM 12/16/98 -0500, Norton, Patrick wrote:
>My point as well. If they did develop obligatory bipedalism after taking
>to the trees, they would appear to be unique among all animals in that
>regard.

Au contraire, I maintain that it is *only* because of our arboreal ancestry
that we humans are bipedal.  Specifically, I attribute our bipedality to
the occurrence of brachiation in our ancestors.  All non-brachiating
primates are strictly quadrupedal.  All *brachiating* primates, when on the
ground, show extremely unusual locomotor patterns - either obligate
bipedality or knuckle-walking.  As far as I know NO brachiating primate is
a normal quadruped when on the ground.

So, no, I wouldn't find dromaeosaurs all that unique if they, or more
likely their ancestors, were arboreal.