Re: To climb or not to climb

Larry Febo wrote:

<Not only was the grasping foot with reversed hallux an aid in perching
on narrow branches, but the further development of the wing and flight
musculature
resulted in the maneuverability necessary to negotiate the intertwining
branches.>

Interesting. I would very much like to see someone investigate the
aerodynamic effect of the carpometacarpus on flight. I suspect that its
effects are (as suggested above) on manueverability, not on basic
propulsion or lift. Once flight evolved, there would be likely be heavy
selection pressure for improvements in manueverability---which to me
makes it curious why so long a period passed between the origin of flight
in birds and the appearance of the carpometacarpus.  But the fossil
record seems to show that, when it finally came along, it evolved very
quickly. Or perhaps I should say that the fossil record does not disprove
the hypothesis that it evolved quickly.

Patrick Norton