Re: Cretaceous Land Squid

> On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Larry Dunn wrote:

> >"Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <th81@umail.umd.edu> wrote:
>
> > Of course, it might turn out to be some weird-ass non-parrot
> > bird, non-avian theropod, turtle, land squid, whatever.
>
> Land squid gets my vote.  Clearly arboreal.

Yeah, OK, except that everyone knows that Land Squids didn't leave
the water to become terrestrial until the Late Miocene - the evidence
points to the sudden increased diversity of sharks of the genus
Carcharadon, the Lung Squid's (the Land Squid's immediate ancestor)
only natural predator, during this time as a likely cause for the
event.

If there *IS* evidence for a Cretaceous Land Squid, then this truly
is pretty big news!  Personally, I think that it is probably some
bioturbidation of Miocene deposits into Cretaceous.  I suppose we
will have to await the official dating of the specimen.  I hear that
Heather Locklear wants to date it (or did I just dream that?)

Happy Holidays!

Matt

Matt Fraser                                      FAX: (412) 488-7668
mattf+@pitt.edu                           Voice Mail: (412) 488-7668

   Matt's Paleo Pages <http://www.pitt.edu/~mattf/PaleoPage.html>

                         Where you can find
     The Paleo Award -  PaleoNews - PaleoChat - The Paleo Forum
  The PaleoAnthro, The Evolution of Language, and The AnthroWomen
           Discussion Lists, and The Paleo Ring Webring!