Chelonians vs Testudines [was Re: More reptile stuff]

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. writes:

> >  Do they have enough features in common with

> >this group we're calling reptiles that they ought to be lumped in with

> >it, rather than being given their own category a la mammals?"

> Yes, BUT they *do* have their own category.  They have Testudines, and they

> have their larger group Anapsida.

I've come across this a lot recently. Is the order that turtles and tortoises
fall under called chelonia or Testudinata.

If it is the latter then what happens to the family group for tortoises
(testudines).

Was there a change in the nomenclature when I wasn't looking?

Archosaur J

Jurassosaurus's Reptipage: A page devoted to the study of the reptilia

http://members.tripod.com/~jurassosauridae/index.html