R: One for the bird brigade

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Allan Edels <Edels@email.msn.com>
Data: sabato 19 dicembre 1998 9.02
Oggetto: Re: One for the bird brigade

>All:
>    The hoatzin resembles _Archaeopteryx_ in that the young retain the hand
>claws.  But, as Tom H. has pointed out, this is a reversal, not a retention
>of the original character.  In terms of a 'look-alike' bird, the hoatzin
>probably fits the bill.  We can examine them and their living habits (and
>habitats) for some clues as to _Archaeopteryx_'s life.

The Hoatzin have some primitive characters together with some
specializzation (I don't know this because the text do not cited) and it is
not a good flighting bird because it has a short sternal carina and have a
pectoral muscle not well developed. For me Hoatzin is the best example for
understanding the life style of Archaeopteryx.

>    I tend to believe that all birds are _A._'s decendants.  However,  I
>don't think that any existing birds are specifically close to _A._
>evolutionary speaking.

Right.

By
Alessandro Marisa
"Voluntary of Paleontology Group of Monfalcone"
Via Achille Grandi n°18
38068 ROVERETO (TN) ITALY
Tel: 039-0464-434658 Email: amaris@tin.it