Re: Hell Creek Crocs (was various and sundry)

>What do croc workers think about why there was at least one giant croc
>before but none in Hell Creek?  Did the dinosaur fauna change enough
>to make life untenable for a giant croc like Phobo/Deinosuchus, or
>were other changes responsible?

I don't think we can tell.  But there were giant crocs at other points in
time - Sarcosuchus (not a crocodylian in the strictest sense), Purussaurus,
Mourasuchus, Rhamphosuchus.  None were crocodyloids, by the way - gigantism
seems to be more prevalent among alligatoroids.

chris

Christopher Brochu
Department of Geology
Field Museum of Natural History