Re: To climb or not to climb

From: Jaime A. Headden <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Date: 22. december 1998 5:54
Subject: Re: To climb or not to climb

>Beri wrote:
>
><The causes of parallel dwarfism of otherwise big herbivores are
>various:>
>
>  [some excellent examples snipped]
>
><It is a possibility, that the islands inhabited with pigmy dinosaurs
>had dwarf trees ( a close circle).>
>
>  This new paper on Hateg in the journal Dingeorge allayed us with
>should give us some of the data I'm curious in. Meanwhile, I need to
>go through the refs in the _Complete Dinosaur_, which confronts the
>data to some degree (dwarfs, that is, as far as I know), and see what
>I can get. Most of Grigorescu's papers are in Romanian, though, so
>that's a little difficult, but I think I can manage.

One should be extremely careful when setting diagnoses and dealing with
 Europe in the Cretaceous times. The area was constantly changing:
submerging and emerging from the sea. The area not far away ( some 500 km
from Romanian Hateg): Istrian peninsula (Croatia) with which I am more
familiar with. It is a paradise for sedimentologists - can be read
like a book. While fossils and track ways around Hauterivian-Berremian
indicate presence
of big and giant dinosaurs (brachiosaurid fossils among others), a beautiful
(rare)
Turonian track site  features a few kind of track ways, made by: small
sauropod, small hadrosaur and small theropod (other unidentified).
Everything there suggests
constant changes of sea levels: what was once a land bridge, next million or
more years was an island, peninsula or archipelago, etc.
The finds of dwarf and "normal" size dinosaurs in same area, might also be
due to sediments of "slightly" different age: making a difference - a
dinosaur living on an isolated island or on a mainland.

 Berislav Krzic
illustrissimus@usa.net
ILLUSTRISSIMUS PRODUCTION
http://illustrissimus.virtualave.net/