Re: NoMeNcLaTuRe Question

Jessica Wagar, the Gobi Gal, wrote:

<<If they both were published,etc on the same day...what would be the
correct name? or how would the 'correct' name be decided?>>

and Paleo Tom replied:

<Paleo death match. To be held at the following SVP meeting. Winner
takes priority. (With background music from the Star Trek episode "The
Gamesters of Triskelion" playing during the fight).

 :-)>

  Sounds like an idea. :) I'd pay to watch, really. :)

<Another might be for both parties to agree upon a third party (person
or team) to chose for them.  Again, the publication of the choice
would certainly look a lot more fair if all parties concerned wrote it
together.>

  This would be my opted-for choice. But also, wouldn't there be some
sort of checks and balances that would prevent this? They're in the
same formation, two crews; wouldn't the two hear about the other's
sauropod? Might be interesting, though, a death match over who gets to
pick the name!

  Might have helped to sort out the *Cristatusaurus* tale, where just
as fast as the name is published, an author (well, 13 in this case;
Sereno et al. 1998) turn right around and make it a junior synonym.

==
Jaime A. Headden

Qilong, the website, at:
---