Definition of "scavenging"

    I've been having thoughtful conversations with Nicholas (sorry; don't
know your last name) about whether T. rex was a scavenger or not, and it
occurred to me that part of the problem with our discussion is that we may
not have the same definition of the word.

    My definition is pretty broad.  I consider any animal that steals a
kill away from another animal a scavenger.  In other words, when a lion
takes a fresh kill away from a cheetah, isn't that a form of scavenging?

   And isn't it more likely than not that a T. rex, using it's imposing
size (and attitude), would steal kills from any smaller predator (including
other T. rex's) at every possible opportunity?

    The theory that T. rex was a scavenger never meant that it was
*exclusively* one, was it?  Surely this is impossible.  Conceding that
point, then, why is there such resisitance to the theory that it was?
Every animal will take food from a smaller one if given a chance.

T.A. Curtis
kodiak@inetworld.net / 619.669.1801
13980 Lyons Valley Road
Jamul, CA   91935-2024
USA
Jan. 1, 2001 is the new millennium--not 2000!