Re: Definition of scavenger

>    My definition is pretty broad.  I consider any animal that steals a
>kill away from another animal a scavenger.  In other words, when a lion
>takes a fresh kill away from a cheetah, isn't that a form of
scavenging?

>   And isn't it more likely than not that a T. rex, using it's imposing
>size (and attitude), would steal kills from any smaller predator
(including
>other T. rex's) at every possible opportunity?
>
>    The theory that T. rex was a scavenger never meant that it was
>*exclusively* one, was it?
That is the same definition I have of scavenging.  You're definitely
right
about T. rex using it's size a lot to steal a kill, but if I was a T.rex
and there was a dead animal
somewhere not being guarded, I know I would scavenge it.
     I definitely don't think T.rex was exclusively a scavenger, but a
lot of times
it was (after reading Horner's assumotions ant the evidence behind them)
I have a question though, has anyone been able to estimate the speeds
of other dinosaurs that lived at the same time as T.rex, and if so,
where can I find the papers?
Larry (not an expert yet) Akins

aka Red Raptor