Re: Deinosuchus basics

>Tom asked the dinosaur:
>
>>Exactly how big was Deinosuchus?Did it live in salt or fresh water?
>
>I am trying to find out that myself.  What I have learned so far is that it
>was probably around 12m, not 15m as some sources suggest.  Several other
>Mesozoic crocodylians (formerly known as crocodilians) were about the same
>length, none larger.

(Please forgive my being an anal person for a moment)

Actually, most of the big Mesozoic crocodyliforms were not crocodylians at
all.  Crocodylia is strictly defined as the last common ancestor of living
gavials, alligators, and crocodiles, and all of its descendents.  Nearly
all Mesozoic crocodyliforms fall outside this group, and would be
non-crocodylian crocodyliforms.  This includes Sarcosuchus, which was
likely the largest of all time.

Within the crown-group, there's Deinosuchus and, in the Tertiary,
Rhamphosuchus (a really big gavialoid) and Purussaurus (a giant caiman),
all of which were *probably* in the 30 to 40 foot range.

>Deinosuchus is known from freshwater deposits

Estuarine in western Texas.

chris

Christopher Brochu

***in transit***