Re: Definition of "scavenging"

At 01:33 PM 2/2/98 EST, DinoGeorge wrote:

><< And isn't it more likely than not that a T. rex, using it's imposing
> size (and attitude), would steal kills from any smaller predator (including
> other T. rex's) at every possible opportunity? >>
>
>I think of this as the "de Camp" hypothesis, since I saw it first in the book
>_Day of the Dinosaur_ by L. Sprague & Catherine Crook de Camp, back in the
>early 1970s. Any earlier references to the idea that larger-size dinosaur
>predators evolved their larger size in order to "hijack" (as the de Camps put
>it) carcasses killed by smaller dino-predators?

Thanks for the ref, and I don't know of any earlier dino reference on the
subject (although it comes straight out of observational field ecology of
large predators).

Personally, I call it the "Toughest S.O.B. in the Valley" hypothesis...

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661