Re: (no subject)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 tomt@f1.net.au wrote:

> I was going through the mailing list archives and I came across a letter
> that said something about Carcharodon megalodon being mythical.  Is this
> true? If not, does anyone know the size?

Gee whiz, does this mean that I should just throw away my seven inch
teeth?

Hi Tom,

Well, the species definition is based on teeth, and there are plenty of
them, so I would say that there is no myth (or mythter) involved with C.
megalodon.  It was a great white shark relative and grew (by some
estimattes) to be 30 feet or more in length - capable of swallowing an
old VW Beetle. Don't know about the other critter.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Fraser
mattf+@pitt.edu
Matt's Paleo Pages <http://www.pitt.edu/~mattf/PaleoPage.html>

                         Where you can find
       The Paleo Award, PaleoNews, PaleoChat, The Paleo Forum,
The PaleoAnthro, The Evolution of Language, and The AnthroWomen Lists,
                   and The Paleo Ring Webring!