Re: _Carcharodon megalodon_

> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 tomt@f1.net.au wrote:
>
> > I was going through the mailing list archives and I came across a
letter
> > that said something about Carcharodon megalodon being mythical.  Is
this
> > true? If not, does anyone know the size?

I have read (sorry, no references) that this extinct cartilaginous fish is
known only by its fossil teeth, but no jaw fossils have been found.
Therefore, the complete jaws and teeth seen in museums and photographs
represent (sometimes inaccurate) reconstructions.  But that is not to say
that the living animal did not exist, or that it didn't have jaws!  Back on
topic, did I mention that it wasn't a dinosaur?

Ralph (not a fossil shark expert) Miller III <gbabcock@best.com>