Re: T. REX THE HUNTER

Brian Franczak wrote:

> There is a 26.5 foot long Hell Creek _Edmontosaurus annectens_ specimen in
> the Denver Museum of Natural History with a chunk missing from the neural
> spines of the tail, ostensibly the result of having a predator bite it
> (This is not news; I did a painting of this animal a literal decade ago).
> The _Edmontosaurus_ obviously survived the attack, since the wound healed.
> Are there any other contemporaneous predators large enough to have bitten
> the hadrosaur from this angle? And if not, wouldn't that make
> _Tyrannosaurus_ the likely suspect in the attack? Is there another
> interpretation of this fossil that I haven't heard? This seems to me to be
> a pretty good example of active hunting on the part of _T. rex_, totally
> negating the "full-time scavenger" idea.
>
> Brian (franczak@ntplx.net)

Perhaps the hadrosaur was asleep and the Tyrannosaur mistook it for
being dead. When the carcass screamed the Tyrannosaur realised
its mistake, let go, and went off to search for something really
dead, leaving the Edmontosaur still alive. Hey, it's no sillier
or more extreme than some of the arguements in the bird-dinosaur
debate!
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions: