Re: _Carcharodon megalodon_

Gigi Babcock or Ralph Miller III wrote:

> > > I was going through the mailing list archives and I came across a
> letter that said something about Carcharodon megalodon being mythical.  Is
> this true?

Its real alright, but it is not a giant Great White Shark (it is
related).

It should properly be called Carcarocles megalodon. It is an Otododid
shark.

Carcaradon is a lamnid shark and comes out of the Mako sharks (Isurus)
in the Miocene, when Cacarocles meglodon is at its peak abundance.

If not, does anyone know the size?

About 60 ft.

Jim Kirkland