Re: Questions: Giant Allosauroids and "Big Ed"

At 05:58 PM 2/3/98 -0600, Seth wrote:
>Hmmm... So now we have:
>
>-Acrocanthosaurus atokensis
>-Allosaurus (Epantarias?  Saurophagus?) amplexus
>-Giganotosaurus carolinii
>-Carcharodontosaurus saharicus
>
>and possibly:
>
>-Bahariasaurus ingens
>
>All giant, multiton Allosaur-like animals.  How do these guys fit togther?
>Does anyone know for sure?

Oh, yes, I know precisely (he said, sarcastically...).

Remember: the best we can do are phylogenetic estimations.  We cannot know
FOR SURE.

I'll let you know my latest thinking soon.

>And just what exactly is "Big Ed"?  When was it discovered?

Edmarka rex.  My papers are in the new office, while my computer is in the
old, so I can't check: very recently.

Bakker considers it a "torvosaurine megalosaurid".  It does seem to be
closely related to Torvosaurus.

>Also, seeing the reconstruction of Giganotosaurus, the body doesn't seem
>that much bigger than Carcharodontosaurus,

Which is an interesting way of putting it, as the body of Sereno's giant
specimen of Carcharodontosaurus is *NOT* known.  What has been restored is
extrapolations from the fragmentary (and possibly incorrectly assigned?)
postcranial material found by Stromer and others.

>but--that thing has a freakin'
>oversized head!
>
>On a similar note I'd be interested to know what exactly the top carnivores
>were at the end of the Cretaceous in South America, Africa and Australia.
>As well as in Europe and the eastern part of North America, and just how
>big they got.

Wouldn't we all...

The largest known Argentine latest Cretaceous theropods are Abelisaurus and
Xenotarsosaurus.  Neither is complete, but Abelisaurus seems to be in big
Allosaurus range (c. 10 m long).

Africa: finding a latest Cretaceous dinosaur locality would be a major
discovery!  Not known.

Madagascar-India: largest known theropods in the latest Cretaceous are
Majungatholus and Indosuchus.  Biggest specimen of these (in India) seems
again in the 8-10 m range.

Australiasia: VERY fragmentary material, difficult to tell affinity or size.

eastern North America: Gorgosaurus or similar-sized tyrannosaurid reported
in the south; Dryptosaurus in New Jersey.  Again, probably 8-10 m range.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661