Re: giganoto warm-bloodness

----------
> From: Chris Clifford <MR_CYNIC@webtv.net>
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: giganoto warm-bloodness
> Date: Wednesday, February 04, 1998 1:25 AM
>
> During the _Beyond T.Rex_ special the other night it showed a new system
> of determining the amount of oxygen within the bones or something of
> that nature, which the technicians involved concluded that the animal
> kept a constant body temperature throughout, therefore proving
> warm-bloodness in their opinion. Has this been done before? What is
> this technique's validity? I myself have not seen this done before.
>
> The CYNIC
>
> "Zimm tells you the way it is, or else!"
> -Harry Zimm

OK, just whipping out my copy of The Complete Dinosaur here. The process
can show whether a creature maintained a constant temperature  during its
life. This is shown by equal ratios of oxygen isotopes throughout the
various bones of the creature, and could also show the temperature the
creatures body was at the time of the bones formation. Hwever, to
 find that out you have to know the oxygen isotope ratios in the creatures
body water, and I dont think we'll ever find that out about dinosaurs. They
used the method on about 10 dinosaur species. Most came out homeothermic. I
really don't know how valid it is ,but I've heard complaints about its
accuracy and applicability though quite frankly I don't know enough about
these things to comment.All this info is in chapter 33 of The Complete
Dinosaur. Hopefully this is helpful.
                                         BHR
                    "That's right; it's nature's own wiffle." -Crow T. Robot