Re: Questions: Giant Allosauroids and "Big Ed"

Seth Ellestad wrote:

> Hmmm... So now we have:
>
> -Acrocanthosaurus atokensis
> -Allosaurus (Epantarias?  Saurophagus?) amplexus
> -Giganotosaurus carolinii
> -Carcharodontosaurus saharicus
>
> and possibly:
>
> -Bahariasaurus ingens
>
> All giant, multiton Allosaur-like animals.  How do these guys fit togther?
> Does anyone know for sure?
>
> And just what exactly is "Big Ed"?  When was it discovered?
>
> Also, seeing the reconstruction of Giganotosaurus, the body doesn't seem
> that much bigger than Carcharodontosaurus, but--that thing has a freakin'
> oversized head!
>
> On a similar note I'd be interested to know what exactly the top carnivores
> were at the end of the Cretaceous in South America, Africa and Australia.
> As well as in Europe and the eastern part of North America, and just how
> big they got.
>
> Seth A. Ellestad.

Late Cretaceous Australian theropods? Good luck! I suppose we can
inferr that crocs were one of the top predators, but as for dinosaurs...
Oh, for some good Late Cretaceous Australian deposits.

        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions:
        Australian Dinosaurs: