Re: pronounciation (a correction)

A correction on my earlier post:

That's "karkharos" not "carcharos" because the latter is the Latinized
form (Greeks didn't have c's).

And because I saw a few posts about this particular word, I will
extemporize: noto- is derived from "notus" Latin for southern, not
"notos" Greek for the back, as in "notochord". The Romans used this word
for the southern wind, and thus derived the meaning of anything brought
with that wind as it blew north (like *Giganotosaurus*).

Jaime A. Headden