Re: "plumed" serpents

Ric Carter wrote:

> ----------
> > From: jseward123@aol.com
> >
> > Could it be that the ancients found fossils of Sinosauropteryx and
> > Sordes, labeled them as reptilian "dragons," and then concluded that
> > the fiber integument was feathers? Maybe this is too much of a
> > stretch, but it's intriguing that ancient dragons had feathers and
> > feathery wings instead of leathery bat wings.
>
> A way to test this hypothesis would be to search holy sites
> of ancient cultures, looking for dragonlike fossils that may
> have been worshipped.  Lacking such physical evidence, it'd
> be hard to evaluate your thesis.
>
> ric@sonic.net * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * yow!

It has been suggested that many of the earlier flying dragons were
based on plesiosaur fossils. My copy of the Illustrated Encyc. of
Pterosaurs contains a brief section on dragon myths, which includes
the Lindwurm Monument in Klagenfurt, a dragon statue from the
16th century that was based on a fossil rhino skull found nearby in
1335! I wonder how this relates to the bodily reconstructions of
such taxa as Carcharodontosaurus? Perhaps we should be giving it
wings as well, just as ancient rhinos seem to have had  :)
Dinosaur fossils from Asia have also been suggested as the origin of
their dragon myths, and ground fossils are still sold as "dragon bone".

Relevance of this posting? You be the judge.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions:
        Australian Dinosaurs: