Re: Food for second thoughts?

On 7 Feb 98 17:34:00 EST, you wrote:

>Have any of you seen footage where a croc lunges out of the water,
>catched a bison, but thinks, "Naw, I'm full already and lets go" ??

Caught a buffalo... there are no bison in Africa, and American
crocodiles don't co-exist in the same enviroment as bison.

>Ever thought maybe other, ancient predators did similar things? Bite
>in, do some injury, but it's then too full or not in the mood and
>lets the thing it has sunk it's teeth into go??

A failed attack is quite common with predators... more common than
successful attacks, really.

>Food for thought?
>
>----------------------
>Matt Staples
>mss196@soton.ac.uk

"At this festive season of the year, Mr. Hilliard," said the gentleman, taking
up a pen," it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight
provision for the poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time
Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in
want of common comforts, sir."
"Are there no prisons?" asked Hilliard.
"Plenty of prisons." said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.
"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Hilliard. "Are they still in operation?"
"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."
"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigor, then?" said Hilliard.
"Both very busy, sir."
"Oh! I was afraid, from what you had said at first, that something had occurred
to stop them in their useful course," said Hilliard. "I'm very glad to hear of
it."