Re: Brainiest dinosaur ?

Paul Charlton wrote:

> Does anyone know which dinosaur was the most intelligent ?
>                    email: paul.charlton1@virgin.net
>      * * * * * visit the Amazing Prehistoric Dogs at * * * * *
>        http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.charlton1/home.htm
>  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~

It was obviously of the flying variety. After all, THEY didn't manage
to become extinct.
Seriously (?), the size of the brain occupying a fossil skull is not
always known for sure, since the brain may not have been totally
surrounded by bone during life and measurements of a cranian cavity
may therefore yield over-estimations of gross brain size. To add to
this, the size of the brain is not necessarily a good
indicator of intelligence. Miniature varieties of dog are
no less intelligent than great Danes or St Bernards. The complexity
of the brain also counts, as does which parts of the brain dominate
(large cererbal cortex may indicate intelligence). A large brain
may have been made up of particularly well developed sensory lobes
with little in the way of a cerebral cortex, making the creature in
question good at seeing, smelling or hearing, but I wouldn't bother
challenging it to a game of chess.
To sum up (and perhaps this would have sufficed): no-one knows for
sure.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions: