Re: Brainiest dinosaur ?

> It was obviously of the flying variety. After all, THEY didn't manage
> to become extinct.
> Seriously (?), the size of the brain occupying a fossil skull is not
> always known for sure, since the brain may not have been totally
> surrounded by bone during life and measurements of a cranian cavity
> may therefore yield over-estimations of gross brain size. To add to
> this, the size of the brain is not necessarily a good
> indicator of intelligence. Miniature varieties of dog are
> no less intelligent than great Danes or St Bernards. The complexity
> of the brain also counts, as does which parts of the brain dominate
> (large cererbal cortex may indicate intelligence). A large brain
> may have been made up of particularly well developed sensory lobes
> with little in the way of a cerebral cortex, making the creature in
> question good at seeing, smelling or hearing, but I wouldn't bother
> challenging it to a game of chess.
> To sum up (and perhaps this would have sufficed): no-one knows for
> sure.
> --
>       Dann Pigdon
>       Melbourne, Australia
>
>       Dinosaur Reconstructions:
>       http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/4459/
>       Australian Dinosaurs:
>       http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj

I don't know if this might have any use, but ever niticed
that those little dogs, all they do it eat sleep and attack!
While larger dogs (excluding the varieties bred to be
aggressive) can often display an apparently wider range of
emotions, like overprotectiveness of it's owners, and even
affection. I could be biased against the little dogs,
admittedly. I see no point in them.

Matt
mss196@soton.ac.uk