Re: T. REX THE HUNTER

Jon Woolf wrote:

>Personally, I have trouble believing that anything as big as T. rex could
>find enough food to keep itself going _exclusively_ by scavenging, unless
>there were an _awful_ lot of dead dinosaurs around, due either to frequent
>disease or to another predator that had a habit of leaving partial carcasses
>in its wake...

If the population is stable, the death rate will be about equal to the
birth rate.  It is unusual for large herbivore populations to fluctuate
much (unless humans are involved), but it's also unusual for them to have
no predators.

(I did have a piece of silly speculation, but mindful of watching taxonomists,
I'll keep it to myself.)

                                                                        Bill